There are four distinct phases in wound healing. Each stage is necessary for the regeneration of cellular structure and the well-being of an individual. The Formulage products are developed for all four stages of wound healing to allow the skin to heal and mature, effectively ensuring a less visible scar.
Phase 1 Haemostasis stage
Epithelial cells at the wound border migrate to clot and seal the wound, and coagulation occurs. Formulage Wound Gel is applied daily to ensure a healthier site during this phase. An occlusive layer is formed to retain hydration that will support healing.
Phase 2 Defensive / Inflammatory stage
The white platelets play a crucial role in clot formation during this stage. The Haemostasis stage must remain moist, and the control of inflammation must not exceed beyond the trauma site. During this phase, Formulage Wound Gel supports this process as granulation tissue forms, and the wound begins to contract.
Phase 3 Proliferative phase
The wound is ‘rebuilt’ with new granulation tissue, comprised of collagen and extracellular matrix in which a unique network of blood vessels forms. This process is known as angiogenesis. Formulage Scar Cream supports this process and provides the essential building blocks of collagen & elastin synthesis.
Phase 4 Maturation phase
This stage is also known as “remodelling”. Collagen forms tight cross-links to other collagen and proteins, increasing the tensile strength of the scar. Amino Acids and Vitamin C (Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate) are fundamental to support the skin during this phase. Silicone creates an occlusive layer and Vitamin B3 (Niacinamide) prevents TEWL (trans-epidermal water loss.)
Formulage Wound Gel assists with Phase 1 and 2 of wound management. The active ingredients
help repair while maturing the wound to reduce the risks of hypertrophic, keloids, hypo, or hyper-inflammatory pigmented scars. The active ingredients included:
- Raw Honey, the main active ingredient, reduces inflammation, prevents infection, and may debride dead tissue, allowing the wound to remain moist and healthy during the maturation healing process.
- The silicone used in the Wound Gel creates an occlusive layer that prevents the wound from dehydrating.
- Lactokine™, a multifunctional protein extracted from milk, strengthens the keratinocytes reducing the skin’s redness and revitalizing and re-energizes the cells.
- Phragmites Communis and Poria Cocos are botanical extracts that reduce inflammation that may exceed beyond the trauma site. Their analgesic effect and immunomodulatory ability ensure the skin’s health.
- Hyaluronate hydrates, allowing for a quicker recovery of the trauma site.
- Bis-Ethylhexyl Hydroxy Dimethoxy Benzylmalonate is a stable antioxidant that eliminates free radicals and prevents inflammation.
Formulage Scar Cream assists with Phases 3 and 4 of wound management. It contains several active ingredients to support collagen and elastin synthesis, retain the skin’s natural hydration, reduce free radicals, and modulate the immune system. The active ingredients include:
- Magnesium Ascorbyl Phosphate (Vitamin C) is an antioxidant and a co-factor in collagen synthesis.
- Bis-Ethylhexyl Hydroxy dimethoxy Benzylmalonate is a synthetic antioxidant which is more stable, and has higher activity, than natural antioxidants.
- Proline and Glycine are amino acids essential for collagen and elastin synthesis
- Bulbine Gel is a South African botanical extract. It modulates the immune response, reduces inflammation, and facilitates the regeneration of normal dermal tissue.
Niacinamide (Vitamin B3) reduces TEWL (Trans-epidermal water loss), stimulates ceramide synthesis, and reduces inflammation